Thunderbird gets blocked when Contacts are processed

Cardbook for Thunderbird Forums Main Forum Thunderbird gets blocked when Contacts are processed

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

TB Version: 52.3.0

Cardbook Version: 21.8

Hi,

some time ago we began to use Cardbook and we’re pretty happy with it!

Only one problem exists and I would like to ask if it has to do with Cardbook or maybe the CardDAV Backend / Server (Nextcloud). Sometimes (I think it happens when Cardbook starts a synchronisation) Thunderbird gets blocked completely for some seconds an down in the status bar of the main screen of TB I see “Contacts processed: 0/0”. That string stays here for some seconds and when it disappears Thunderbird is “unlocked” an can be used normally. The thing that’s a bit annoying is, that also a “New Message” window hangs for all the time, so you can’t write until Cardbook finishes the processing.

Does someone has the same problem or maybe a solution?

bye

cm

CardBookCardBook
      Keymaster

yes, when you have some thousands of contacts, this may happen… don’t know how to improve this…

Participant

Hi,

thanks for your answer!

You’re right, I have three address books and a total count of about 2900 contacts in them. So certainly it’s also a question of connection speed.

I don’t know how the sync is done but do you think that any sort of asynchronous  sync would be possible to omit that blocking of Thunderbird? Or maybe there would be the possibility to sync only the changed entries (using the webdav sync-token if not already done)?

bye

cm

CardBookCardBook
      Keymaster

I don’t think it is a question of connection speed : it is CardBook that does not a good job… the sync requests are asynchronous but not the processing of results… I haven’t succeeded in asyncing this processing…

Participant

Ok I understand :-/ …

But during the sync all contacts get downloaded am I right? The thing that comes me in mind is that maybe only the changed entries could be downloaded and processed – in our case that wouldn’t be many entries at one sync… so theoretically the whole processing should be much more faster?

CardBookCardBook
      Keymaster

in fact, I do a query for all contacts etag and uid to see which contacts are changed or new, then I do a query to get the detail of these contacts…

it is the first query that is long to process…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.