14th April 2018 at 14:47 #1893
I use Cardbook as a stand-alone, not connected to a server. I need to create a fresh Thunderbird profile (to fix some issues in the old profile) and reinstall the addons. There are questions:
1. install the Cardbook add-on first and then copy over the old profile Cardbook directories or
2. copy old Cardbook directory to new profile first and install the add-on later
Or some other approach I have not thought of?
- This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by CardBook.
14th April 2018 at 15:37 #1894
if you use a local address book (and not a directory or a file), you should copy the storage directory where is the indexedDB database used by Cardbook…. not sure this is the best approach as you might copy others things within this directory…
I advise you to export all your contacts to a directory and then to reimport them in a newly created address book… and don’t forget to make backups ;O)
14th April 2018 at 16:53 #1895
There must be a better approach. I have 16 address books, all in the directory [my_old_profile]\*.mab and also as [my_old_profile]\cardbook.
I guess one approach is to collapse these to a single address book and use the Category feature of Cardbook to segregate the addresses. Then export and import.
I tried installing Cardbook in the new (empty) profile and copying over the cardbook and mab files from [my_old_profile]. This does not work.
I wonder if a server approach would be better. Can I change to a “server” cardbook repository and preserve the current multiple address book configuration? How?
14th April 2018 at 18:27 #1896
you can not change the type of an address book… you have to create remote address book… export|import to|from a directory is the easiest I think…
14th April 2018 at 19:24 #1897
OK. This worked.
- In the old profile, Export existing Cardbook Address books as *.vcf files. One for each Address book.
- In the new profile, Import each *.vcf to create a new Address Book. The sequence is New Address Book>Local>Open Existing>Select the exported *.vcf.
- Re-select the colour
What would be an improvement is that the colour travelled with the address book VCF Export file.
This ‘solution’ could be added to the Wiki.
14th April 2018 at 20:01 #1898
for the colors and others address book related properties, you may get them from your old profile in the file prefs.js (all the lines *cardbook*data*)
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.