Migrate configuration to newer Cardbook version

Cardbook for Thunderbird Forums Main Forum Migrate configuration to newer Cardbook version

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by Avatarcm.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi,

all of our users use Cardbook on their Computer to manage their contacts.
      Because of the migration of some users to newer PCs it seems that migrating their Thunderbird Profile something went wrong:

When a user gets a new Computer we first prepare the device and sometimes it could happen, that on the old device is installed a older version of Cardbook (also some versions older) than on the new device. We then copy the TB profile from the old installation to the new PC.

To me it seems that Cardbook on the new PC does not work correctly when we migrate the settings in the prefs.js / user.js. Often strange things happen and the solution is to enter in the preference dialog of Cardbook and reapply the same (already set) settings – afterwards everything is fine. Therefore I think that maybe something with the migration has gone wrong…

How does Cardbook normally manages an upgrade of this type? Lets say a user is using an old version of Cardbook an then installs the newest version – does the Addon corrects (“migrates”) some settings so that they are compatible with the newest Cardbook version?

Is there maybe a possibility to relauch that function again to “repair” the old settings so that the newest Cardbook version works correctly?

Greetings,

cm

CardBookCardBook
      Keymaster

CardBook does not deal with the Thunderbird profile upgrade…

It seems to me that copying a profile from one version of Thunderbird to another different one is a wrong way of proceeding and CardBook is particularly affected by this as it uses a indexedDB database for its cache… because the data of the database are not readable any more by the new database engine… it’s the same with Firefox..

I don’t know how to run a Thunderbird profile upgrade…

Participant

Hello and thank you for your reply!

With the number of users that we have the reconfiguration of every single profile is something that we can’t do one by one, therefore we are trying to copy the settings…

If we’re only talking of Cardbook is there a way you would suggest how to migrate settings to a newer version without a configuration by hand on the new PC? Maybe I’m wrong, but in theory the indexedDB could also be recreated on the new PC, but all the settings like the “callto:” link or syncronisation settings would be lost if we can’t copy them?

Thanks a lot for your time and your work!

Greetings

cm

CardBookCardBook
      Keymaster

to migrate CardBook profile, the best is to copy the entire profile (so your CardBook options will be kept) and inside this profile, just remove the folder “storage” in which you have the CardBook databases… this folder will be recreated…

if you have remote address books, CardBook sync will for the password and if you have database address books you will have to export|import your contacts (in vcf)

Participant

Hi,

ok thanks a lot, I will try this and see if the problem can be resolved by this procedure!

Thank you,

cm

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.