GContacts, Cardbook and custom fields sync

Cardbook for Thunderbird Forums Main Forum GContacts, Cardbook and custom fields sync

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by CardBook CardBook 3 months ago.

• Author
    topoldo
    topoldo
    Participant

Hi all!
    I’m back after about one year and I noticed that in the meanwhile most of the problems I had with Cardbook which convinced me to stay with the traditional Thunderbird (TB) addressbook (AB) were solved.
    I still have a couple of problems for which I don’t know if I can use some tips and/or workaround to bypass them.
    My main ABs (personal, work and a non-profit organization, for a total of more than 1,500 contacts) were on GMail/GContacts so I can use gContactSync to sync them between 3 PCs, 2 smartphones and 1 tablet.
    Of course I make most of the work on PCs where where I can use the 4 custom fields that TB native AB provides which are very important for me. Their content does NOT appear when I watch at the contacts via GContacts, however it is synced from PC to PC, so I can see it when I watch at records of TB ABs using the PCs.
    What I was wondering is if this works also by using Cardbook or not.
    In fact, when I synced Google Contacts for the first time in order to import its content into CardBook on a PC where I installed CardBook, custom fields are empty.

The second problem refers to Department and Organization fields.
    At my knowledge the TB native AB template (but also GContacts template) apparently does not provide a “Location” (floor) field to fill with data where a contact works. We have a 8 floors building with about 800 persons, so I would like to know where one has his/her office/lab.
    We are an University interdepartmental building, so I decided to overcome the problem by using the field Department for specify the department to which one belongs and the Organization field to specify the floor instead of the Organization.
    The important thing is that these 2 features are on different fields so I can sort/create mailing list etc based on these features and maintening them separated.
    Unfortunately I noticed that they were merged (separated by a”;”) on CardBook. Any idea on how to get them as “singles” or is there any tip/workaround which I can use?
    TIA for any answer.

Topoldo

CardBook
    CardBook
    Keymaster

Hi Topoldo

1/ for custom fields, even if they are not displayed with an internet browser in Google contacts they were kept… to keep your custom fields maybe try to import your Thunderbird standard address books into CardBook, then copy these imported contacts to your Google CardBook address book…

2/ for the ORG field, CardBook works the way defined by RFCs, but you’re right that it should be possible to add all the columns defined for the ORG field… I will try to add this possibility….

topoldo
      topoldo
      Participant

You wrote:

1/ for custom fields, even if they are not displayed with an internet browser in Google contacts they were kept… to keep your custom fields maybe try to import your Thunderbird standard address books into CardBook, then copy these imported contacts to your Google CardBook address book…

Tnx. I presently use gContactSync, as I reported in my previous msg, and I have no problem syncing custom fields among TBs standard ABs on different PCs.
      However if I try to import (and subsequently sync) data from GMail ABs (previously managed by gContactSync) to Cardbook then I do NOT have any content in the custom fields.
      So I had to conclude that gContactSync manages “custom fields” differently from Cardbook.
      Now I want to see if I understood correctly what you suggested. I need to:
      a. Import TB ABs (the ‘local’ version of GMail addressbooks) to Cardbook;
      b) Remove my GMail addressbooks saved at GMail;
      c) Export/sync my Cardbook version of GMail addressbooks to GMail
      Am I correct?

You wrote:

2/ for the ORG field, CardBook works the way defined by RFCs, but you’re right that it should be possible to add all the columns defined for the ORG field… I will try to add this possibility….

It is very important for me, so I’ll be grateful if you will  be successfull!

CardBook
    CardBook
    Keymaster

a) Import TB ABs (the ‘local’ version of GMail addressbooks) to Cardbook;

b) Remove my GMail addressbooks saved at GMail;

c) Export/sync my Cardbook version of GMail addressbooks to GMail

b) Sync CardbBook address books

topoldo
    topoldo
    Participant

CardBook wrote:
    > a) Import TB ABs (the ‘local’ version of GMail addressbooks) to
    > Cardbook;
    > b) Sync CardbBook address books

I tried to import from standard TB AB the “local” version of the GMail synced addressbook to Cardbook 34.5.
    I was successfull and I could also see the custom 1-4 fields.
    However if I try to sync this AB with GMail (as you suggested) this doesn’t work or I did not find a way to do it.

On the contrary if I sync the GMail addressbook directly with Cardbook, I was successfull BUT, the fields specific of TB (which I know that are also present in GMail contacts even if I don’see themt whose content in fact could be easily updated using GContactSync and Thunderbird  standard AB), do not appear.

Regards,

Topoldo

CardBook
    CardBook
    Keymaster

once you’ve imported the Thunderbird standard address books, then you have to create a new address book (right click, then new address book, remote type, then Google, validate, …). you should see all your remote contacts then you may choose to copy the imported contacts into it or not…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.