[Solved] Custom fields

Cardbook for Thunderbird Forums Main Forum [Solved] Custom fields

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris
      Keymaster

In Google, it is possible to give a fieldname an individual denomination. So instead of being restricted in the phone field to “mobile, home, etc” one could name the field for example “whatsapp” (this is handy in some cases, as foreigners often use a whatsapp number different from their mobile number, and that whatsapp number can’t be used for a mobile call).

I am not sure if this is conform to the vcard-norms (as Google often goes its own ways), but it has proved definitely useful, because this fieldname is also displayed on the mobile phone, at least in Android. So with this additional info one knows easier which number to call.

I would be glad to see this feature in CardBook 🙂

Chris

• This topic was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by CardBook.
      CardBook
      Keymaster

this kind of internet communications is for the IMPPs paragraph (you may add a whatsapp type in CardBook preferences)…

Chris
      Keymaster

There are two issues with this approach:

1 – adding this field will have it show up for any new contact, although it is only required ad-hoc

2 – this type of field seems not to be parsed as a phone-number, hence whatsapp will not discover it  as a whatsapp-number in Android. The field you suggested is of the type “X-“, whereas a type “TEL;TYPE=” would be needed, like “TEL;TYPE=whatsapp:012345678”

Besides, my suggestion goes beyond the pure whatsapp-use – it could be used for any additional specification or detail of a given phone-number or even other fields with an option to customize, and then only for this one particular instance.  Have you seen how this is done in Google? There is a dropdown menu for predefined options, but it can simply be overwritten with the desired custom entry.

CardBook
      Keymaster

1/ no it will appear only in the menulist button in edition

2/ in CardBook preference you define the protocol to use for this whatsapp

I don’t understand what goes wrong with the IMPP paragraph (works for jabber for example)

Chris
      Keymaster

2 – what would be the protocol to put for a mobile phone-number? Would a drop-down option list for the protocols be a feasible possibility for this field?

CardBook
      Keymaster

try whatsapp…

as far as I’ve understood, you’re on a PC and you want to have a phone call with the whatsapp application ?…

Chris
      Keymaster

Nope – just for my Android usage.

However, I now understood what you meant above, where to change the option – under “Types” -> “Telephone” I was able to add my whatsapp field.

This works as I wanted – but the area becomes pretty congested then. I am confident however that you will offer us a solution for this soon 🙂

Many thanks

Chris

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.