Contact list unstable

Cardbook for Thunderbird Forums Main Forum Contact list unstable

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      markslang
      Participant

I just found this forum.  I recently changed to  Cardbook to sync my contacts in Thunderbird.   The add-on seems very impressive.  The install was easy.  It imported my local address books.  I added my main Google account, also, very easily.  Everything seemed OK.  However, soon it started to act up.  I added a new contact to test the syncing.  That seemed to work fine.  That new contact is present in Google.  However, after that, any time I select a contact from the Google contacts my screen blinks about every second, and the selection process is unstable.   You try to scroll down, and it jumps back up to the top.    I switched from the Google address book to my Personal Address Book (localDB imported on install).  That works fine.  Now a set of circular arrows appeared next to the name of the Google contacts name in the list of address books.  It does not go away.   I assume that means it is trying to sync.  For some reason, it seems to be stuck in a loop of some kind.

Help.  This makes the addon unusable.  I will have to abandon it if this cannot be solved. Thanks.

markslang
      Participant

Update.  I looked at the Thunderbird activity logs.  It did say that Cardbook with my email was syncing with no time stamp, so it was still active.   I closed and restarted Thunderbird.  This time it seemed to clear up whatever loop it was in.  Perhaps Google did not respond right away, and it got stuck.

After the restart, I tried deleting the test contact I created.  That did work.  It immediately started syncing again, but it stopped with completion about 2-3 seconds later.   This time I looked for that and waited.  Perhaps I had initiated some other activity earlier while it was still syncing that caused the issue.  This suggests there are some race conditions, or perhaps some other timeouts.  I know Google sometimes is slow to respond when I send an email.  Perhaps I will try turning off the option to sync on changes.   I appreciate any suggestions to avoid this in the future.  For now, I will see how things go.  I really like the features here so I hope Cardbook works for me.  Thanks.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.