contact in list disappears when moved in another cardbook-addressbook

Cardbook for Thunderbird Forums Main Forum contact in list disappears when moved in another cardbook-addressbook

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

originally i had a dozen groups in my old addressbook. converting the whole addressbook to a local cardbook included all my groups and their member list.

but after moving some contacts to a network cardbook, the lists get emptier and emptier.

so it seems that the contacts receive a new UID and the lists are useless because they cannot relate to the new UID.

is there a way to keep the lists intact? or to move them to a network cardbook?

CardBookCardBook
      Keymaster

if you use a Google address book this is expected, as Google dictates its uid. Google has a buggy implementation of their CardDAV API… I cannot fix this… personally I use a free NextCloud instance on the web (there are plenty) for my contacts… Even Apple strictly respects the CardDAV norm…

Participant

well, i don’t use google at all – the sync goes over the openXchange server of my hoster.

interestingly when i imported the contacts (csv) in my network address book, there was a column called “reference” which  was then translated into “categories” in CardBook. and the sync with my android (via DAVx5) gives me out not category, but “group”.

so the confusion is total.

but cardbook lists don’t get exported. right?

CardBookCardBook
      Keymaster

I don’t know how openXchange works, but if it changes the uid, you have to recreate your list after the sync…

Participant

just tried it: the list is created, but after sync disappeared – so openXchange doesn’t accept lists at all.
      i wonder if creating new categories would work better.

this is really a mess – no standards which work for all … 🙁

but thanks for your cardbook anyway. it’s very helpful – and the merging process is just easy and genial!

CardBookCardBook
      Keymaster

one more question : what is the vCard version of your CardBook address book ?

Participant

it’s version 3.0 – and i have seen in the preferences that i could try to put the lists in custom fields with X-ADDRESSBOOKSERVER-KIND and X-ADDRESSBOOKSERVER-MEMBER.

i already have some custom fields (X-CUSTOM1, X-CUSTOM2 and X-SPOUSE [which is a VERY reactionary name, it should be named as “companion”]), but now i have to figure out how to use the two list-custom fields you suggest.

CardBookCardBook
      Keymaster

in CardBook log set the debug mode and increase the log size to 50000 : https://gitlab.com/CardBook/CardBook/wikis/CardBook%20log

in CardBook, create a list, then sync your address book and look the CardBook log to see the server answer…

Participant

thanks for the hint – and here is the result re new list “Website-Kunden”:

2019.10.07 17:20:19:260 : A-Liste : Contact Website-Kunden created
      2019.10.07 17:20:19:703 : A-Liste : debug mode : Contact Website-Kunden written to DB
      2019.10.07 17:20:35:735 : A-Liste : Contact Website-Kunden new on disk
      2019.10.07 17:20:35:738 : A-Liste : Contact Website-Kunden : sending create requests …
      2019.10.07 17:20:35:958 : A-Liste : debug mode : body : (new String(“BEGIN:VCARD\r\nVERSION:3.0\r\nPRODID:-//Thunderbird.net/NONSGML Thunderbird CardBook V37.9//EN-US\r\nUID:b5fa6a04-b8a1-4fa6-b0d0-d3c25aeb2914\r\nFN:Website-Kunden\r\nN:;;;;\r\nREV:2019-10-07T17:20:35Z\r\nX-ADDRESSBOOKSERVER-KIND:group\r\nX-ADDRESSBOOKSERVER-MEMBER:urn:uuid:4d84225d-3c49-4150-855e-708b3b1fceee\r\nX-ADDRESSBOOKSERVER-MEMBER:urn:uuid:f9e0a6ee-75d1-4dbe-a532-ff3717c28d7d\r\nX-ADDRESSBOOKSERVER-MEMBER:urn:uuid:25fafb30-fd2d-440a-9840-824a4c26afeb\r\nX-ADDRESSBOOKSERVER-MEMBER:urn:uuid:fca75311-0564-4240-aca9-63a25ec4d9b4\r\nEND:VCARD\r\n”))
      2019.10.07 17:20:36:120 : A-Liste : Contact Website-Kunden created on server (no etag in response)
      2019.10.07 17:20:36:280 : A-Liste : debug mode : Contact Website-Kunden deleted from DB
      2019.10.07 17:20:36:327 : A-Liste : debug mode : Contact Website-Kunden written to DB
      2019.10.07 17:20:38:214 : A-Liste : Contact Website-Kunden deleted from server
      2019.10.07 17:20:38:231 : A-Liste : debug mode : Contact Website-Kunden deleted from DB

CardBookCardBook
      Keymaster

ok, it seems created… so it is deleted by the server after… you have to ask openExchange how they handle the lists..

Participant

thanks for the hint – unfortunately i found no clue how to add an accepted field for groups and group members in openXchange.

so i decided to add new (group-)categories to the cardbook addresses. this works flawless and survives all syncs, including android (where the categories are named as “groups” anyway).

thanks for your support 🙂

CardBookCardBook
      Keymaster

ok, good to know that openExchange does not support lists but uses categories instead

Participant

my last reply just disappeared, so i try again.

the incompatibility between cardbook-lists and openXchange-lists is stunning.

creating a (distribution-)list in openXchange makes it a normal entry in the respective addressbook: old number +1 (new)
      but it doesn’t sync correctly with the client. after sync my client says: old number (without +1 new).

exporting the vCard gives the following entries:

BEGIN:VCARD
      VERSION:3.0
      FN:xxx
      KIND:group
      MEMBER;X-OX-FN=xxx:mailto:xxx
      PRODID:-//Open-Xchange//7.10.1-Rev21//EN
      REV:20191009T044839Z
      UID:e876fcff-938c-4abe-ae56-77c1e720dbbd
      END:VCARD

but correcting in the cardbook-preferences the list variables to X-KIND and X-MEMBER (all other notations are not allowed by cardbook) leads to a sync with an empty entry (no members).

strange, not?!

CardBookCardBook
      Keymaster

keywords KIND and MEMBER are for 4.0 vcards… so in CardBook try to create a remote address book with the 4.0 version

Participant

thanks for your hint.

it seems impossible, since i still use thunderbird v. 60, and therefore am stuck with cardbook v. 38.

when i combine correctly, thundebird v. 68 and cardbook v. 42 go together.

CardBookCardBook
      Keymaster

the CardBook version does not matter for this, no ?

Participant

well, i don’t know for sure.
      i tried to build a new remote addressbook in cardbook (verified was ok).
      but then the only option i see is version 3.0
      4.0 does not show.

CardBookCardBook
      Keymaster

ok… create a list on your server, then sync CardBook and  post the CardBook log to see how your server creates a list…

Participant

list is created on the server (export of vcard):

BEGIN:VCARD
      VERSION:3.0
      FN:Test-Liste
      KIND:group
      PRODID:-//Open-Xchange//7.10.1-Rev21//EN
      REV:20191011T054444Z
      UID:1136ef19-916c-4b39-b7f2-cbd91c66e88e
      END:VCARD

sync log in cardbook says nothing about the new list, no list-name (“Test-Liste”), no “group”, no members – just nothing.

CardBookCardBook
      Keymaster

I’d like to see the line returned by the server from the CardBook log to have the right source… (This vCard is not correct as it uses KIND and MEMBER with a 3.0 version, so I don’t think this was the response of your server)

Participant

sorry, now you have lost me.
      a few days ago i tried to create a new remote address book, but with no success on the client side.
      now i have created a list in my existing remote address book, but it’s not the right thing i did.

so i don’t know what you would like to see in the log, sorry.

CardBookCardBook
      Keymaster

create a new list on your server, sync CardBook and email (cardbook (at) cardbook.icu) me the CardBook log

Participant

distribution list inside my existing remote addressbook?

or new addressbook?

CardBookCardBook
      Keymaster

new distribution list on your existing address book but on the server side (I want to see what does look like the GET request from CardBook)

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.