Categories – Double entries in addresbook

Cardbook for Thunderbird Forums Main Forum Categories – Double entries in addresbook

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      steve_k2400
      Participant

Hi! A quick question regarding categories:

if I add a contact to a category, a duplicate is created in the Address Book. If a contact is in many different categories, the name is then duplicated as many times as many categories it belongs to. Is there a way to turn off the display of these duplicates and show the name only once in the Address Book?

jcinaz
      Participant

It is my understanding that you are not supposed to be looking at the Thunderbird Address Book after installing CardBook. The format of the Address Book is not near as complex as CardBook. So what do you care what is in the Address Book if CardBook has what you need?

I removed the Address Book tab and I refuse to look there. I have no idea what is there, and I don’t want to know.

steve_k2400
      Participant

Sorry, I did not wrote my question properly. 😳

I’m only talking about the CardBook Adress Book. I imported a large number of contacts from a cvs file in to a new CardBook Address Book. (This is only present in CardBook, not in the Thunderbird Address book). Then I started to categorize the contacts and realized the above multiplication. I need the Address Book to remain clean, without duplicates to always be able to check the amount of contacts. Therefore I need to hide the category duplicates.

As I don’t know Thunderbird and neither CardBook, I’m not sure how to disable the display of these duplicates and I don’t really understand why are these there. They don’t really make sense to me.

jcinaz
      Participant

Categories for CardBook in an email account are for creating lists of people to send messages to as a group for that email account. The entries in the category are not actually duplicates, but more like an alias. The contact will appear in the master list as well as the category. Making a change to one automatically updates the other. You can remove an entry in the category without removing the entry in the email master list, but removing an entry in the master list will remove the entry in the category.

If you create a category in one email account and then add (drag) a contact from another email account into that category, that does create a duplicate that will appear in both email accounts. This is normal and proper.

Making a change to a contact in one email account does not update the same contact in any other email account.

steve_k2400
      Participant

I understand the meaning of categories and the categories them self behave correctly in my case. What I don’t understand is that, if I select a Name in the Master List and drop it over an existing category (belonging to that Master List) why do I get a second entry with the same name in the Master List.

One of the entry has no category (the Master) and the second entry has the corresponding category shown in the Category Column. (This is the Alias or Link what you mentioned.)

Unfortunately I can’t paste a picture here as the data is sensitiv but imagine like this:

Before I add John Doe to a category the Master List is like this:
      John Doe – Email – Telphone – etc – No Category (empty)

After I add John Doe to the FRIEND category, the Master List looks like this:
      John Doe – Email – Telphone – etc – No Category (empty)
      John Doe – Email – Telphone – etc – FRIEND

What is the point of repeating the Name in the Master List?
      Or is this an error which only happens to me?

CardBook
      Keymaster

it’s an horrible bug, will fix it for next release… sorry

jcinaz
      Participant

Much better description of the problem. Thanks.

I actually don’t have that problem. Sorry I couldn’t have been more help.

steve_k2400
      Participant

Thank you both of you for your answers!

It’s interesting, that it doesn’t happen on all installation.

I will wait then patiently for the update. 🙂

CardBook
      Keymaster

I need some time for the update as I’m working on a big migration concerning the Google address books (from the CardDAV API and Contact API to the single People API)

steve_k2400
      Participant

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.