Carddav URL for Cardbook adress book

Cardbook for Thunderbird Forums Main Forum Carddav URL for Cardbook adress book

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Matura
      Participant

Hi,

i have a question:

I have an adress book in CardBook and I want to synchronize it with an adress book in Synology Contacts. Synology Contacts asks for the sync for a Carddev Server for this Cardbook adress book. Where do I get the url for the Cardbook addess book?

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by Matura.
      Chris
      Keymaster

Hi 🙂

It’s actually the other way round – the addressbook should be in the Synology and then sync with cardbook in Thunderbird (and other devices, eventually).

This is a client-server relation, and cardbook can be a client only.

Maybe you have used a different server until now, without being aware? Like gmail, or Nextcloud? Or is your addressbook only local in cadbook?

Please tell us more about your setup, so that we can help.

Cheers
      Chris

jcinaz
      Participant

I think you are looking at this from the wrong end. Synology doesn’t need a URL from CardBook for CardBook to synchronize with Synology. Once you establish a connection TO Synology FROM Cardbook, that establishes the synchronization. It should be the same as the way to synchronize a Gmail address book with CardBook. Gmail doesn’t need to know anything about CardBook for CardBook to synchronize with Gmail. What you get is a separate address book in CardBook for each account you synchronize with, not ONE address book for everything. That’s the whole purpose of CardBook. By color coding each CardBook address book, you visually maintain a distinction between them. You can have the same contact in each with different content in each without it being a conflict – except in your head trying to keep them the same. For instance, I added a gender to a person in one address book and it did not carry over to the same person in another address book.

My confusion comes in when I see “All contacts” empty as I would have thought it to be a blend of all address books. I’m not too concerned about that, though, because when I start a message to someone, I am shown the color code of the address book it is taken from, and if the email address is the same in both, it only shows the first one.

I hope I’m right about this. At least that’s the way it appears to work for me.

Matura
      Participant

Thanks Chris,

then I have to import the Cardbook adress book to Synology Contacts. And the I can setup as you described.

I thought cardbook included a carddav server.

Juergen

jcinaz
      Participant

If you first establish a link with Synology FROM Cardbook, you can then copy the contacts from the existing address book into the Synology account and wait for the upload (sync) to complete. No need to export/import.

Matura
      Participant

Thanks, copy works fine.

Any idea why categories from Cardbook not be taken over by Synology Contatcs?

jcinaz
      Participant

Looking at the features of Synology Contacts, it does allow for creation of Categories. I do note this one limitation:

• Only one-way sync from external sources to Synology Contacts is supported. Any changes made in Synology Contacts will not be updated to the source address books

That hurts. If syncing isn’t two-way, it’s not what I would call a useful product serving as a master repository in a NAS while at the same time claiming to support CardDAV and vCard. But that probably isn’t the reason Categories in CardBook aren’t syncing to Categories in Synology. You might need to work this out with Synology tech support.

jcinaz
      Participant

The one-way syncing provided by Synology does not prevent CardBook from accessing a Contact in Synology and updating any information in CardBook.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.